Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Descanso Gardens

Over brunch in Pasadena on Sunday, friends suggested that we visit Descanso Gardens. We did, and were glad that we did.

In 1942, the founder of the gardens purchased about 100 thousand camellias from Japanese nurserymen facing internment, evidently at a  fair price. The gardens do have plenty of camellias, and many were in flower


as were many other plants, some of whose names we knew, for example clivia

and calla lilies


some unknown



some new to me but identified by the signs



The gardens had many visitors, though they did not seem crowded. Some visitors were there for "TOMATOMANIA!", said to be the world's largest tomato seedling sale, and had seedlings in hand. Most just strolled through, taking pictures now and then.



2 comments:

  1. California is one of those wonder-filled places wherein you can put yourself on the trail of spring for many months, moving from coastline, to deserts, to mountains. As I once lived in San Diego, San Francisco, and Fresno, I am a bit envious of your excursion to Pasadena. However, if I had to choose, I would live out the rest of my days in San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard only good things about San Diego, and liked the little we saw years ago.

      Delete